The Mabis Project | Science fiction thriller, read it online as it's written.

Science Fiction books, Read books online, Online books, Scifi stories
Science Fiction books, Read books online, Online books, Scifi stories
Chapter One- Pages 1-2 |   3-4  |   5-6  |   7-8  |   9-10  |   11-12  |   13-14  |   15-16  |   17-18  |   19-20  |   21-23 
Chapter Two pages 24-26
  |   27-29  | 30-32    | 33-35    | 36-38    | 39-41    | 42-43  
Chapter Three pages 44-46  |  47-49

Learn more about painted ponies

Friday, July 22, 2005

Chapter One: Pages 1-2

Title: The MABIS Project
Chapter One Beginning of a new age
Author: Stan Corley
Date: July 1, 2005
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 23
Word Count: 8912

I was buzzing with excitement.

Finally after years of research and endless hours of work my team and I had solved the problem set before us. Today we would perform a live demonstration for the technological review board.

The past five years has literally been hell on earth. Natural disasters have literally wiped millions of people off the planet. Several rouge nations have launched nuclear weapons into Great Britain, Israel, France, Germany, China, Japan, Russia and even America. Nuke is a word I care not to hear ever again. It’s repeated hundreds of times daily on the news, because almost daily extremist manage to set one off somewhere. I lost my daughter in the very beginning, she was shopping with her friends when one of those damn rebel extremist detonated one inside the mall.

Three years ago ten nations signed a global peace treaty and established the global council to oversee it’s regulations. Ever since that day the attacks have gotten worse and the stranglehold of fear has pushed the politician’s hand. Regulation after regulation imposed upon good citizens all because of an instable planet and global conflict.

It’s out of control and today we’re demonstrating the invention for immediate activation. It can fix the ozone layer, restore bridges, roads and cure radiation sickness. We can seal fault lines, stop volcanic eruptions and restore destroyed structures. I hope that this invention will return life back to normal and end the military state I call home.

As everyday though, I still had to make the long walk to the main lab. My office was situated in the far corner of the building. An afterthought really, it was originally a large storeroom that had been converted into an office.

It had its advantages, the location was quiet and out of the way so no one bothered me while I was working. But the one disadvantage was the walk.

From my office, I had a walk of about 500 yards down the hallway to the subterranean elevator. All projects that deal with particle physics are conducted below surface for security and safety. From there it’s down 30 floors to the testing floor.

When you exit the elevator, it’s as if you’re in another world altogether. The first thing you notice is the temperature change, much colder here than topside. The next is how huge the testing area is. The whole floor was open, no walls dividing it into rooms; just blank space painted a very bright white. The walls spanned 120 ft to meet with a white semi-domed ceiling.

On the east wall set two large windows that span 80 ft long by about 6 ft high. One was located at ground level and behind it was the control center. The second window was directly above and it served as a view for many offices and was accessible for test observations.

In the middle of the room stood my baby, MABIS. To look at her was to be dazzled. She sat on a large titanium base with wires running from it like the tentacles of an octopus to the control room. When light hits the diamond poured sphere her reflections were majestic. Inside of the large sphere were six other equally exquisite spheres made of other precious stones. Attached to the spheres are hundreds of pyramid shaped crystals pointed every way imaginable. A large red crystal rod extended from to the top holding each sphere in its proper place. I love to stare at her, but today I had important work to do.

I arrived a few minutes before three and began prepping the machine for today’s test run.

As I was checking out the machine I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Well ole boy, it look’s like we’ve done it”

There was no mistaking this guy, as I turned and gave a handshake to my partner Dr. Nathaniel Marx. His red hair uncombed as usual, wrinkles in the lab coat from not pressing it and a slight hint of Canadian whiskey on his breath. Something’s never change I thought.

“Well how are you Nathan?” I said.

“I’m good, got a few butterflies in me belly, as you shootin’ well should” Marx exclaimed in his thick Irish twang and a slap on my back.

“Well I’ve had my share of them, didn’t get much sleep last night either.” I replied.

“We’ve been working towards this day for quite some time Cole, just enjoy it, it’s not everyday you create a machine that can create or change fully structured atomic particles from a wave. We’re going down to save the world.” Marx said with his old style charm.

“I sure hope everything goes well.” I replied optimistically.

“Well let me get over to the booth and we’ll run the final test and put that worry to rest.” Said Marx.

“The reactor will be warmed up in a moment.” I replied as I hastily returned to work.

Chapter One: Pages 3-4

Link to this story

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Science Fiction books, Read books online, Online books, Scifi stories
Chapter One- Pages 1-2 | 3-4  | 5-6  | 7-8  | 9-10  | 11-12  | 13-14  | 15-16  | 17-18  | 19-20  | 21-23 
Chapter Two pages 24-26  | 27-29  | 30-32  | 33-35  | 36-38  | 39-41  | 42-43

| Chapter Three pages 44-46